I just attended The Blog World Expo in Las Vegas. My expectations were very mixed. I really had no idea what I was getting into. My goal was to meet new people, successful bloggers, and to learn how to make Follow Up Success the go-to resource for small businesses, entrepreneurs, and sales professionals.
The Expo far exceeded my expectations. I attended some amazing breakout sessions with all types of bloggers both on the panel and in the audience. I had great discussions with bloggers, companies that support bloggers, and people of all levels in the blogosphere. For example, I met people I never imagined would be there like:
- Tim Ferriss – The 4-Hour Work Week
- Mike Shinoda – Linkin Park
- Gary Vaynerchuk – winelibrary.com
- Brian Clark – copyblogger.com
- Mari Smith – Relationship Marketing Whiz and Facebook Expert
A good friend of mine and fellow blogger asked me today how I was going to follow up with all the people I met. (Is she joking? Does she not read my blog?) So how am I going to follow up with all these new contacts? To start, I am going to do what I have talked about in this blog 7 Steps to Follow Up Success of course! Everyone will be getting an email from me today letting them know how much I appreciated meeting them. I will also add the social platforms I use to stay connected to people in my network; LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter. Over the next few weeks I will be calling these contacts to learn more about them and explore ways I might be able to help them.
I am still digesting all the great information from Blog World and already know this experience has made a huge impact on me. I’ll be writing about this more in the future but for now, here are just a few of the highlights that really stick out:
- New Media – Now’s the time to ride the wave and implement new tools…you can be a pioneer, opportunities are endless.
- Twitter – The powerful use of a new tool…ruling the top trended topics, what could this mean for your business?
- How companies like Comcast are using social media like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter to expand the customer experience and add a new layer to customer service.
- CNN and Twitter – CNN is using Twitter to pull in live questions and engage their viewers. How can you use this strategy in your business to engage your customers?
- Are bloggers just crazy people with too much time on their hands? I will admit this may have been somewhere in the back of my head before attending the expo. Now I realize they are a group of professionals, entrepreneurs, corporate executives, and writers. With that in mind how can you use blogging to support your business and follow up activities?
The blog world has a space for you too! Reading blogs, making comments on posts, or starting your own blog are great action steps to enhance your business success! If you would like a taste of what it was like at Blog World Expo check out Ryan Hupfer’s great post and video, It’s All About The Connections: Thoughts, Highlights, And Lessons Learned From Blog World Expo 08. Lastly, consider attending Blog World Expo 09 or BlogHer in San Francisco next year. Both conferences get rave reviews. They are well worth the reasonable registration fees…which by the way are discounted if you twitter. The expo was a rich experience for me and I enjoyed it so much I might just offer to speak myself next year. We’ll see.